Dugan Pretends He's A People!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Dugan the Dog Brushes His Teeth

Dugan says: Oh boy! Here come the toothpaste!


Be sure you don't miss a spot.


I think you missed one of those back molars.


Uhm, yummy!


Give my tongue a swipe while your at it.


Oh no, I think the toothpaste is about gone!


We all have routines. Especially when it comes to the things we do daily in regards to our personal hygiene. Most of us have a pattern of morning duties we execute with an almost religious devotion. We arise from bed, we bathe; use the toilette, shave, and fix hair etc. on a schedule that usually is much regimented. So it is with Dugan too. First thing every morning, after I come out to greet him, Dugan gets his teeth brushed. Dugan looks forward to this daily event, not because he thinks oral hygiene is nifty, but he thinks his doggy toothpaste is a treat! Dugan’s toothpaste is one of three flavors: beef, poultry, or peanut. He likes them all!

For his tooth brushing treat, Dugan has been trained to lie down on the floor and lay on his back with his feet up. Then I straddle him and kneel on one knee, keeping my knee and foot close to his sides. This allows me to keep him straight upside down without flopping over on one side or the other. I then take his toothbrush (already loaded with toothpaste) and move it towards his mouth presenting the back of the brush into his mouth first. If I try to put it in his mouth toothpaste side first, he always moves his mouth in anxious anticipation and gets the toothpaste all over in the fur around his mouth, what a mess! After the brush is in his mouth, I quickly give his teeth a brushing using a pattern of movement through his ample mouth so all teeth are scrubbed. I must go quickly and efficiently before all the toothpaste flavor disappears, or he will not feel the necessity of continued cooperation. After the tooth brushing is done, Dugan enjoys laying there and getting his ears massaged and his eyes and chin rubbed. While he is relaxed in this contented state of mind, once a week I will file his nails down. Nail care for Dugan is another interesting story for later.
Thanks for the chin rub Master.


Ahh, that eye rub feels great!


Nothing like a ear massage to sooth the savage beast, thanks Master!


After the tooth brushing and massaging is done, Dugan lays quietly and ponders how good his little doggy life is.

4 comments:

More Bacon said...

Although I think those flavors of toothpaste sound horribly, I bet that he likes them a great deal.

April said...

Pictures 4 & 5 crack me up! His ears, his teeth, his glowing eyes...he almost looks the "savage beast"!

Sneegrl said...

Does Dugan ever want his teeth to be brushed outside of his morning routine? Because he likes the toothpaste??

Dugan's Master said...

Shannon,
Putting toothpaste in Dugans mouth is a treat to him. He would let me brush his teeth anytime, as long as he gets the toothpaste!